Friday, May 31, 2013

49: Last Bell

Today was the last day of school in Moldova. Unlike America, Moldova has a set day for the start and end of school for the whole country, September 1 and May 31 respectively.

Instead of classes the school gathers in the front yard and holds and assembly just as they do for the very first day of school.


And the front entrence becomes a stage. 


After the assembly is over everyone takes lots of pictures...

Director of the school


Some of the graduating 12th graders 
My partner teacher


But most importantly everyone also gives out lots of gifts, mostly flowers but today I was surprised to find that I received quite a lot of love in the from of many thank you cards. One from each class I taught this year.



The director of the school also gave me a certificate of appreciation and some souvenirs for me to take home to America. 


Did I mention that I also gave a speech?  Completely in Romanian and in front of the whole school. Then a little while after I slow danced with a 12th grader...once again in front of the whole school. Let's hope that both of those were once in a lifetime events.



No comments:

Post a Comment