Sunday, January 27, 2013

Cabin Fever & Waiting for Nothing

One thing I especially hate about winter is the simple fact that doing anything other then staying home seems like too much of a chore because of the amount of work you have to go through to walk any long distance in the snow or in the ice, although I don't think 'walking' would be the appropriate word. More like taking a step, sliding on the ice a few inches, catching your balance and risking the next step, and repeat until you reach your destination in twice the amount of time it would normally take you.  In addition to the dangers awaiting you while you walk you also have to deal with the cold, which I have to say could be worse. It has stayed a pretty constant 20ish range warming up for snow every few days but if I remember correctly it was the first week of February where we started to see the real fun of negative teens weather and frozen water pipes. So I guess I have that to look forward to in the near future.  Contrary to an average winter back home you can never wear just one warm layer, it is always best to cover up as much as possible but no matter how much I try I always realize I missed a layer about 5 minutes into my walk to the train station. "I knew I should have brought my scarf." "Why did I only wear two pair of socks?" "The hood on my sweat shirt is not cutting it. I can't believe I forgot to bring my hat." And so on and so forth. The best part of this is how the cold and the ice play off of one another. The colder I get the faster I try to walk and the faster I walk the more likely I am to fall and walk twice as slow afterward as I was before I attempted to speed it up.

To make a long story short I haven't left my house to go anywhere in a while and after the near blizzard we had on Friday I don't think I'll be able to go anywhere for a while anyway.

But in other news in a week from today, on Super Bowl Sunday as it were, I will finally find out my official departure date from Moldova. Unfortunately for me I have school on Monday so I won't be able to be in Chisinau for the actual lottery but I'm not too worried about that. I am, however, pretty anxious to finally have a real date. It seems like every conversation I have had with people recently has been about when I am going back to America and everyone seems to think I'm not being honest when I tell them it could be anywhere between July and August. It really reminds me of when I was in my last semester of college and everyone kept asking me when I was leaving for the Peace Corps and the only thing I could tell them was that I think I might be going somewhere in Europe sometime in June.

Although whether I know my exact date of departure or not theoretically shouldn't effect me from planning for the future but the more I try and think about it the more my brain gets frustrated with trying to plan things around an unknown timetable.

Which brings me to my next topic. The job search.  I have bookmarked the website that lists all the open West Virginia Teacher positions and I can't help but to refresh that page at least once a day if not more, even though I know they normally don't start really posting positions until about March. I guess that's just my unreasonable fear of the unknown. As soon as I have a date and a job prospect I doubt I'll pay much attention to counting down the days or worrying about the future but until then the anxiousness of waiting is torture.

No comments:

Post a Comment