Monday, July 4, 2011

Learning Russian and Foarte Frumos Hillsides

Today being the Fourth of July the Peace Corps gave us a lighter schedule with only three hours of Romanian instead of four hours and no tech classes. However, I still had to get up at 7:30 and instead of four hours of Romanian it was three hours of Romanian and one hour of Russian. The one hour of Russian was awesome and definitely sufficient for me. I had a new appreciation of just how happy I was to be learning Romanian instead of Russian. I like the way the language sounds and I am super excited to be able to recreate a few nearly intelligible Russian phrases. Such as добрый день, спасибо, and до свидания. (The letters alone make me want to cry. Although I'm getting better at sounding out the words seeing as how half the things in the Supermarket are labeled only in Russian, so being able to at least fake my way around Russian is kind of essential to my survival.)

After an amazingly exhausting hour of Russian, we all ate lunch and after a little Apples to Apples decided to go for a walk through the hillside above the city. It was a beautiful day and when we made it to the top of the hill we were rewarded with one of the most spectacular scenes of nature I have ever seen. Unluckily for me I didn't bring my camera so you will just have to believe me until the next time when I can take pictures to prove it.

On the way home I passed a Moldovan with an American flag on his shirt, there is no escape from acknowledging today as Independence Day…even in Moldova.

No comments:

Post a Comment