Friday, July 1, 2011

Amazingly sick.

So I came home from Chisinau yesterday wrote up an very entertaining blogpost and was about ready to go to sleep when my body went into mutiny. The squimish should turn away and disappear. Starting at about 10 o'clock last night I started to throw up once an hour...EVERY hour all night. Luckily Peace Corps gives us a number to call if things like this happen so we can be advised by a doctor about what precautions and steps we should take. Unfortunately for me the only thing I could do about it was to keep hydrated and take Pepto Bismal tablets. For someone that hasn't been sick for about 10 years last night was incredibly hard to deal with. The Peace Corps doctor was super nice though and called me every so often to check how I was doing to make sure the situation wasn't getting worse and to give me some tips. Finally at about 8 o'clock the doctor called and asked if I was still vomiting and told me that I had in my medical kit a drug called Tinidazole which was used as both an anti parasitic medicine but also a drug that was used during the soviet era to keep alcoholics from drinking alcohol as it has a very nasty reaction with alcohol. As it is, the drug stopped my vomiting but now I have an upset stomach, headache, and physical fatigue, compliments of either the drugs side effects or the final stages of my sickness. At least let's hope it is the final stages.

I stayed at home today and have for the most part been sleeping since 8 o'clock catching up on all the sleep I didn't get last night. The medical officer blames the illness on food poisoning and when I informed her of what I ate yesterday she let me know that it was most likely McDonald's that gifted me this amazing sickness. No more McDonald's for me.

1 comment: