Saturday, July 16, 2011

50th Anniversary Concert

As everyone should already know by now this year is the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corps. As a celebration of the anniversary in Moldova there was a concert in the Stefan cel Mare Park.

(Sidenote: Picture Stefan cel Mare as the George Washington, Abe Lincoln, and all other great American leaders rolled into one. Unlike our money where we put a different person on our bills, in Moldova it is only Stefan cel Mare on every bill. In every town there is at least one street [usually the main street] named after him and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a town where every street was named Stefan cel Mare...I see his face EVERYWHERE.....)

Getting to the park required going to a different part of Chisinau than I normally go to but I was surprised to find how different it was from the Chisinau I was used to just a few blocks away. There was high rise buildings, well kept government offices, wide tree-lined street with spacious sidewalks and real trashcans. The park was also super nice with lots of shade and stone walkways. The concert was also pretty nice and even made the Moldovan News. Here is a link and I highly suggest watching the video if only to check out the facial hair of the male anchor. Also while everyone wearing a white shirt is probably someone I know, you wont see me since the footage was taken at the start of the event when I was still sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment